Watching video is the #1 web activity, followed by Facebook and then Internet banking. And it looks set to grow further as more people get online, more companies understand digital media and the available bandwidth gets better.
The popularity of video isn’t being ignored by leading brands and the exponential growth of YouTube has been testament to this. Looking recently on the YouTube statistics page some of the numbers are astonishing:
- There are over 3 billion videos viewed each day.
- 48 hours of video is uploaded each minute, equating to 8 days per 24 hours.
- More video is uploaded to YouTube in one minute that the 3 major US networks have in 60 years.
- 150 years of YouTube video are watched everyday on Facebook
- Every minute 500 tweets contain YouTube links
- AND PERHAPS MOST ASTONISHING – YouTube only started in 2005!
But what does this mean for business? And what are the advantages of it aside from videos undoubted popularity?
One of the biggest reasons is SEO…
Forrester have said a video in the index stands a 50 times better chance of appearing on the first page of Google than any given text page in the index. Engagement video will certainly increase your ‘Google Juice’, as you can imagine ‘Likes’, ‘Favourites’ and ‘Thumbs Up’ are perfect for the algorithms. Publishing video content regularly and having a lot of content will of course help as well.